I know, I know. All the recipes I’ve been making lately are a little…different. I’ve recently discovered that I seem to have a knack for combining unexpected ingredients. Peach quesadillas? Greek yogurt pancakes? Admittedly, those combinations sound pretty odd at first, but actually go quite well together. Today I discovered another not-so-traditional combination that turned out to be amazing.
Risotto with blueberries, thyme, asiago cheese, and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. I just love how the blueberries turned the rice a beautiful shade of purple. I gobbled up this ultra-creamy risotto with a few small pieces of grilled chicken and a cool, crunchy salad. It was the perfect summer meal and one that I would highly recommend to anyone.
Here’s the recipe if you’d like to give it a go!
Savory Blueberry Risotto
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1½ cups Arborio rice
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- butter and olive oil
- ½ cup white wine
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 4-5 cups warm chicken broth
- 1 TB chopped fresh thyme
- ¼ freshly grated asiago cheese
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- In a medium pot over medium heat, sauté onions in a bit of butter and olive oil until translucent.
- Add the rice and stir for about a minute. Add the wine and simmer over low-medium heat until the rice has just about absorbed all the wine. Ladle in the first cup of chicken broth as well the blueberries and thyme into the rice.
- Stir constantly until nearly all liquid has been absorbed. Keep adding the broth, a cup at a time, until the rice is tender. After the last cup of liquid has been absorbed, sprinkle in a bit of salt and black pepper as well as the asiago cheese and lemon juice.
- Serve piping hot!