Have you ever made a quesadilla with fruit inside? Me neither. Until today.
See, I’ve been doing some soul-searching. Up until…oh, two hours ago, I believed that peaches were meant for one thing and one thing only—dessert. Peach pie, peach cobbler, peach crisp, etc. etc. etc. Any peach that crossed my path was destined to a sugary fate of pastry and ice cream.
No longer. Perfectly ripe summer peaches and…sharp cheddar cheese. I also tossed in a few slivers of caramelized onion and a few snips of chives from my ridiculously overgrown herb garden. These quesadillas had that wonderful sweet and salty flavor goin’ on.
Here’s how to make ‘em!
Cheddar Peach Quesadillas
- 1 tortilla, cut in half
- 1 small peach, cut into thin slices
- 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 TB chopped red onion
- In a saucepan, melt a small amount of butter or oil over low/medium heat. Stir in chopped onions and cook until soft and slightly caramelized.
- In a separate pan, heat butter. Add half of the tortilla. Layer half the shredded cheese, peach slices, and caramelized onions. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese to ensure maximum gooeyness. Place the other tortilla half on top of the cheddar peach mixture.
- Cook on both sides—until golden brown and slightly crispy. Cut into wedges and serve with a side of plain yogurt or sour cream. Enjoy!